Sunday, July 8, 2007

Day 25 - Adios, au revoir, auf wiedersehen . . . good night!

How did it get to be the end of my trip? This time tomorrow, I will be back in Tennessee . . . provided somebody picks me up from the airport . . .

I sang (and attempted to play the 12-string) "Farther Along" in church this morning, and the fine folks of Spartansburg UMC were very kind, as always. This afternoon/evening, my Aunt Sue and her husband Lee came over to visit from Meadville, and we had a lovely dinner and a nice visit.

We have to hit the road at 9:30 a.m., so I should probably be packing right now. But first I'll tie up a few loose ends.

When I was at Papa and Gorgeous's in Vancouver, I was astounded to discover that Papa had assembled himself a wine rack made out of PVC pipe. This was of particular interest to me, since my Dad (the vintner and brewmaster), had done the same thing a few years back.



And remember when we went to the Amish store here in Pennsylvania mere days ago? Well, we didn't take any pictures while we were there. But when I was poking around on my parents' computer, I discovered these two photos of the exterior at Schrock's. In addition to dry goods, Amish schoolbooks (in German), and just about every kind of gummy candy you can imagine (and some you wouldn't want to), they also have turkeys . . .



. . . and peacocks.



They also have really cute puppies for sale, but alas, I have no photos of them to share.

I started on this trip three-and-a-half weeks ago--in part, to get some insight into the question, "What's next?" So it seems like it would be apt to share some of that insight here . . . even though I really *should* be packing. For some reason, I am reluctant to talk too much about the conclusions I have come and am coming to--maybe because I'm afraid they will sound flighty or stupid to other people. But I'm coming out of these 25 days with an inkling of a plan, and since you've been such faithful readers, I guess I can let you in on what there is of it.

You probably don't know who Laurie Berkner is (unless you are reading this from Abbot House #3), but briefly, she is a professional kids' musician. Meaning she writes and performs music for children. A lot of her stuff is played on the Sirius "Kidstuff" channel (#116), as well as on TV. I have previously mentioned the fact that while I was out in Sunriver, I was exposed to a whole bunch of kids' music, of wildly varying quality. Laurie Berkner is good at what she does--and I feel confident that I could be good at it, too. I briefly mentioned this idea here while I was in Oregon--and now that I have had a couple more weeks to marinate in the idea, I have decided to pursue it. It may seem to come out of the blue to some of you--but to me, in a lot of ways, it seems like something I've been preparing to do all my life.

Anyway, once I get home I'm going to start talking to some Nashvillians about what that might mean as far as concrete "next steps." And I'll be looking for a part-time stream of income (possibly at Starbucks), as well as doing some knitting on the side, looking into selling tea and coffee cozies at some of Nashville's local coffee and tea shops, and probably some babysitting.

Okay, seriously . . . must pack. Thanks for reading and going along with me through this journey over the last few weeks. I hope you'll stick around for the new journey about to begin!

4 comments:

a real librarian said...

Tag, you're it!

Players list 8 facts/habits about themselves. The rules of the game are posted at the beginning before those facts/habits are listed. At the end of the post, players then tags 8 people by posting their names and makes sure they know they’ve been tagged by leaving a comment at the tagee’s blog.

cz said...

1) wow, lynn, wow!

2) wow, i didn't know i had a blogger display name!!!

3) wow, i maybe should have started in chronological order, but i'm sneaking looks at work

Unknown said...

I love that wine Rack!

Unknown said...

I love that wine Rack!