Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Mein Auto ist ausgepimpt

Monday night was our monthly-ish dinner meeting over at the Blood:Water Mission offices in East Nashville, and one of the other volunteers I met this time around was John, recently moved to Middle Tennessee after having taught in Vienna for three years. Natürlich, our conversation turned to all things Germanic. He shared with me several amusing adaptations of American terminology into Deutsch, my favorite providing the title for this entry. If it doesn't make sense to you, unfortunately I don't think my explaining it will increase its humor value. But *I* thought it was hilarious.


In other BWM news, I now have a work-in-progress for the Christmas stocking project I have undertaken for them. I have designed and am making six stockings to be used for BWM donations at the upcoming Jars of Clay/Third Day Christmas tour. If they're coming to a city near you, check them out! And remember that one US dollar can provide clean water for one African for a year.



Obviously, that one is not quite finished--I ran out of yarn. Whoops. The other five will not be quite so big, not only because of the yarn quantity required but also because the finished size is a little unwieldy. I wanted to make them big so people would want to fill them up with donations (that's how it works, right?), but I think slightly smaller will work better.


Kristen, Nick and Zoë sent me a box of mailers! Aw, shucks. You guys are so swell. I definitely won't be needing to purchase any for QUITE a while.



In case you have been sleepless over the past few nights wondering about the fate of the Frankensquash, here are a few post-baking photos. As you can see, the flesh actually baked up more orange-y than it had been raw . . . however, its character was still some sort of pumpghetti cross. And while it wasn't technically inedible, it wasn't something I would serve to guests, either.


Sweet dreams. ;)


I also made my first pair of convertible mittens last week, upon request from Kristen. She even sent me a pair all the way from Sunriver so I could see exactly how they were constructed! What kind and generous friends. When I took these pictures of the finished product (well, 50% of it, at least), I couldn't decide whether it was better with the flash on, or off. Let me know what you think . . .




Thanks to all the ladies who came over Sunday afternoon for our Pride & Prejudice gathering--all six hours of it! Special gratitude to Liz and Sarah for their delightful refreshments . . . wish I had gotten photos. Dangit. I also regret that I am unable to find a suitable online image to support my contention that Anthony Calf (aka Mr. Darcy's cousin Colonel Fitzwilliam) is not actually "hippy."


Last but not least, one more thing I thought of for the wishlist . . .

PAPER SHREDDER: To recycle unwanted advertising into cat box filler--alternatively, if you have a paper shredder and are willing to save the remains, I would be happy to take your shreds!

Happy Tuesday night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, we are living in parallel universes.

Not the Germany thing, or the Frankensquash thing, but we were just discussing the merits of those flippy glove-mitts.

Jen