Saturday, June 30, 2007

Day 17 - The hiccup gods will not be mocked

Apparently I spoke a skosh too soon about my triumph over the hiccups. They only reappeared once yesterday, but I'm pretty sure it was a warning to let me know that even though I may have won the battle, the war rages on.

In other bizarre health-related news: Guess who has pinkeye? Aw, don't be jealous. Since WebMD has become my new favorite website this week, here's what it has to say about my current predictament.

We had a lovely time last evening visiting with our family in western New York. Several of us gathered at our historic family cottage in Lily Dale (click the link if you want to know more from Wikipedia, 'cause I'm not going to go into it here.) "Our" cottage is the oldest one on the grounds, over a hundred years old, and does not have electricity. Remarkably, it's even more quaint than it is musty.

The outside of the cottage (not sure exactly what Alice is doing out front):



Cousins in the living/dining room area (that is 8-year-old Katie in the foreground). The lamps on the wall run on kerosene, hence the tubes leading to them.



The fridge and stove also run on kerosene, but you can't see either of them in this picture of the kitchen. If you look, however, you'll spot an honest-to-goodness washboard.



Laura, Ana Rose and yours truly. Guess which one of us is about to turn one year old!



Many among the assembled company, though sadly not all, went from Lily Dale to meet up with more of our family just off Lake Chautauqua, at a restaurant called the Hot Fish Shop. I kind of wish we'd gotten a picture of the sign or the menu so I could verify the fact of that stellar nominclature, but I'll trust that you'll believe I wouldn't make it up. It was awesome! Here we are having a good time.





Lest you wonder, my mom served as photographer for all of these shots, which is why she is not in any of them. But she was there, and we even let her eat and everything.

I believe a good time was had by all, or at least by me. And then, in the night, my eye started hurting and got all goopy. Ew. Well, such is the yin and yang of life. I spent most of today feeling pretty crappy and lying low, while Mom and Dad were out selling stuff out of the garage. If anyone else happened to watch those two movies on TNT this afternoon starring Noah Wyle, I want to assure you that they did *not* provide accurate depictions of life as a librarian.


Tomorrow I'll go to church for the first time in three weeks! I hope I remember how. In closing, to quote Dr. Dog, "Don't scratch your bum and suck your thumb." Or rub your eye, for that matter.


EDIT: It has been called to my attention that the lights and appliances at the Lily Dale cottage run on natural gas, and not kerosene. Whoops. It still smells kind of funny when the lights are running. Thanks to Mom for the correction!

No comments: