Monday, February 25, 2008

Backyarcheology

MG and I spent this morning going over songs for our upcoming musical extravaganza. It's going to be pretty off the hook, inasmuch as one can say that about a library program.

This afternoon was sunny and reasonably warm, so I decided to spend some time digging in what will soon be the garden. Dad dug up quite a bit when they were here, so I figured I'd continue his work.

Rather than tilling the soil, I started to feel like it was more of an excavation. There was so much stuff buried under the grass! I guess the majority was driveway gravel-sized stones, such as this one:


. . . but there was a bunch of other stuff, too. Like roots about as big around as a finger, seemingly going nowhere (since there aren't any trees or large plants around there anywhere).


And big round rubber thingies. (I think it says "Daisy Dish Stopper" on it.)


I didn't get pictures of the tiny little spiral shell or the two large pieces of brick or small piece of cinderblock, 'cause my hands were too muddy by then and I'd already put the camera away.

So anyway--where does all this stuff come from? How does all this random debris come to be buried in the yard? I have no good explanation.

Before I got my hands all dirty, I snapped a couple pictures of some more things to go up on the store. Here are a couple of scarves, first for the upcoming holiday, and then just a more general cabled design.



Update from yesterday: Kristen says that Deschutes beer can be ordered through the mail at Liquid Solutions.

Tomorrow is book club, and so far I've started The Awakening. It'll be interesting to see how many people are able to make it when we meet, since the flu seems to be ravaging the 'Ville right now, and book club in particular. Makes one glad to be well and serves as a reminder to take one's vitamins. I'll let you know tomorrow night who has been left standing!

No comments: