Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Pretty Great Job

It isn't every day that a person gets to witness a light saber fight between Darth Vader and Murray from the Wiggles, much less PARTICIPATE in one! In the interest of full disclosure, the part of my light saber was actually being played by a feather duster, but then the part of Murray was being played by me.

My point is, some people might not consider taking care of kids to be a "real job," and while I'm probably not going to convince them of such with the above anecdote, I also don't really care. 'Cause some days I just really, really love doing it.

Last night Russ, Lindsay, Trish and I ended up Kickin' It in an unanticipated way. Due to rampant illness and indifference among the NFGers, we decided to postpone bowling for another time. Instead, we took a short road trip down to Nolensville, location of the nearest Piggly Wiggly. I will offer as brief explanation for this decision the fact that neither Lindsay nor I had ever been to one, although as with all things in life, our motivations in toto were far more complex.

After the 20-ish minute drive south, this is what we discovered:


The sharp-eyed among you will no doubt spot the phantom "P I G G L Y" in the above photo. That's right, they shut down the Piggly Wiggly! What would Miss Daisy say? I must admit that it was a fairly crushing blow. However, lest we succumb to despair, Lindsay assured us that she had spotted another one (still open) along her travels for her job at Catholic Charities, which has occasionally flung her to the outer corners of the region. Thus are we determined to try again at some future date.

Fortunately, we were able to make a fairly swift recovery from our collective disappointment. The shell of PW shares a parking lot with Sonic, so we pulled right in for some tasty beverages. Russ treated me to a lemon-berry slush, which is my favorite Sonic treat! I guess Trish and I could have engaged in some nonsensical banter in honor of their TV commercials, but instead she snapped this picture:


I'd better sign off for tonight . . . T-minus 6 minutes to (last week's "enhanced") LOST! Then, in true Nashvegas style, off to see Aaron play a show at the Curb Cafe.

In closing, a word of hard-learned advice--gather ye rosebuds while ye may, for ye know not when they're going to close the Piggly Wiggly.

1 comment:

KG said...

So I can't say if it is still open but there is a Piggly Wiggly between my house and Rivergate on Old Hickory. I used to drive by it fairly frequently but it was always closed (because of the hour of my driving). Think Piggly Wiggly has homies? Cause that would be just too much awesomeness in one place.