Thursday, April 10, 2008

Beyond Explanation

I heard the same commercial twice on the radio today, once going to and once coming from my babysitting job in Brentwood. It advertised some upcoming Jon Stewart shows at the Ryman, for which tickets are apparently going on sale soon. As you might expect, the ad includes several pieces of Stewart's comedy "bits" to entice the radio audience into plunking down the cash for tickets.

Unbeknownst to me, apparently JS and I have been doing the same "bit." This is the point at which the story gets kind of hard to explain, 'cause you kind of have to have heard me say this to understand what I mean. But I have, on numerous occasions done a little bit about how the current social situation (dinner party, book club meeting, church service) is actual an elaborate set-up for an intervention for one of the people present. It's not something I say *all* the time or anything (that would just be weird), but I have used it to get a laugh more than once. And I, at least, continue to find it amusing.

Anywho, JS apparently does this same joke in his act! So right now I am torn between feeling A) betrayed that he clearly heard about my hilarity from some of our fellow New Jerseyans and stole my idea, or B) flattered that I had the same thought as such a smart and witty guy as Stewart.

Tonight was the first of the new crop of Thursday-night NBC shows! God bless "The Office." The only problem is that there are currently tornado warnings in some counties east of Nashville, so they kept breaking into the shows with weather updates. BOO. The one TV dude actually suggested that for people in those counties, they should turn their TVs up really loud and go into their tornado hidey holes (he didn't use that exact term). Really, your suggestion is to BLAST the volume on the TV? Isn't that what battery-powered or other emergency radios are for?

Anyway, I hope all those folks east of here are okay, and I hope that wherever you are reading this, you are okay, too. Happy Thursday! I'm going to play some Solitaire and go to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know you're big when Jon Stewart is stealing your material. LOL

Jen