Sunday, April 6, 2008

Hammock . . . hmmmm?

I was picking up the last of the big sticks from the backyard a little while ago, talking with Karen on the phone about how nice it would be to have a hammock back there. The area at the very back is quite shady and seems like it would be an ideal spot. Especially on a day like today, when I would really like to take a nap but feel guilty about being inside when the weather outside is so perfect! However, if I had a hammock, I could nap out in the loveliness guilt-free! (Well, sort of.)

This prompted me to wonder how difficult it might or mightn't be to knit a hammock. I know, I could buy one--but what kind of compulsive DIY-er would I be if I did that? Besides, they are expensive.

Besides the acquisition or construction of the hammock itself, there is of course the question of where it would go. I scanned the backyard for possible spots, assuming that at least one post would need to be sunk into the ground, since I don't have two trees big enough.

Then I looked at the remains of the big tree that split in that big storm last year (see October blog entries for details), and I wondered--would it be feasible to hang a hammock from the part that still remains attached to the main trunk of the tree? It has a gap underneath it about five feet off the ground and seven-ish feet long?

Here is the stack of wood my Dad cut off the tree at Thanksgiving:


And this is what was left when he was finished. It was my intent to have somebody else cut down the rest, but in typical fashion never got around to it. And now I'm thinking . . . fortuitous hammock opportunity?


At its highest point, it is about as high off the ground as I am tall (5'10"-ish):


But the most relevant question seems to be: would it be strong enough? Here's what it looks like at the actual split. Urgh.


Gratuitous pretty tree shot (even more blossoms than last time!)


So, I don't know. I might price canvas or other outdoor fabric sometime when I'm in Joann's or Hobby Lobby, since sewing a hammock is certain to be less time-consuming than knitting one. Although I do already have a one-pound spool of 100% cotton yarn, which I believe is what it would need . . . although light-gauge rope would be even better . . .

Anyway, those are the happenings going on here today. I did a little digging in the garden, as well, until I got too hot and came inside to rest for a while. If you have any thoughts/insights on the hammock situation, I would love to hear them.

No comments: