Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Scheaffer makes a fine product

I have at times been chastised for the fact that I never throw anything away. Well, that's not completely accurate, but I have been known to save lots of stuff, and that has not always been understood by others. But my trouble is that, not knowing exactly what the future holds, I can often foresee potential uses for things, where other people might see something taking up space. I once read an article that said "savers" (a.k.a "pack rats") are often highly intelligent and creative, for exactly the reason of seeing potential usefulness in objects. I must admit I took a lot of solace in that.

After my activities of this evening, I feel a little vindicated in my pack-ratterry. I had an idea quite a while ago for a "Miss Lynn" music logo, and determined with Heather K. last week that it was not something that we were going to be able to create in Photoshop, but rather was going to need to be hand-drawn.

Flashback to 1984 (I think?), when I received a calligraphy set as a gift. As I recall, someone had given my dad some felt-tipped calligraphy pens, and I had used them quite a bit. The set contained a fountain pen with three different sized nibs, 14 (different colored!) ink cartridges, an instructional booklet and practice pad. It got a fair amount of use in my early adolescence.

And yes, I still have it.


I broke it out tonight to work on the logo, and it still works! Not only that, but *some* of the cartridges still had liquid ink in them! (Not the box of black ones my grandfather gave me, which must have been at least 50 years old by now. I discarded them. See, I do throw some things away!)

I did two attempts at the logo. I'm not completely satisfied, but at least they get the idea across. My hope is that Heather can scan them for me and then maybe we can clean them up on the computer, cutting-and-pasting from the two versions as necessary.



What do you think? Do you get the idea? Do they remotely look like me? Do they make me look 400 years old?

It is way past the point when I should have gone to bed, so that's it for now. Happy Tuesday and thanks for reading!

3 comments:

a real librarian said...

Ohhh, Lynn - that looks awesome!!!

KG said...

I like them! Maybe a tiny bit more of a smile so the kids know that you're fun friendly Miss Lynn but those look great.

Anonymous said...

I love it!

And M loves it!

And C loves it!

And A loves it, but I think she's just a copycat!

Jen