Saturday, April 5, 2008

Hairbrush therapy

I haven't mentioned for a while the fact that I am working on growing out my hair this year for Locks of Love. Probably because it's not terribly interesting to write about one's hair growing, much less read about someone else's hair growing.

I remember hearing my grandma (among others) talk when I was younger about the practice of brushing one's hair 100 strokes before retiring to bed at the end of the day. Supposedly this was meant to cultivate shine and luster.

Since there are very few active steps I can take in this hair-growing effort, I figured that this discipline was one I could adopt. And you know, I think it actually might be working! The frequent brushing does seem to help my hair be healthier (or at least appear so)--most particularly, the part at the ends that has been dyed multiple times and so is increasingly prone to breakage.

But I've discovered an unanticipated consequence of this ritual, as well--all this hair-brushing is pretty relaxing. I don't know if it's all the repetitive motion, or the scalp stimulation, or a combination of factors--but the reality is that if I'm feeling worn out or frustrated or otherwise "ugh" about life, a nice little session of hair-brushing does make me feel a bit better.

Well, I'm going out to a wine and cheese party in a bit (with homemade cheese that Michael and I made last weekend), so I should probably eat some dinner and get ready. Hope you're having a great weekend and that the weather is nicer where you are than it is here right now (grey and low 50s).

No comments: