Friday, March 28, 2008

A Parliament of Owls

I just learned today (on Webkinz!) that the collective noun for a group of owls is a parliament. It's not really pertinent to anything in today's post, but it is completely pertinent to awesomeness.

So, yeah, I went to the "Sons of Lwala" fundraiser/premiere last night and it was great! I didn't even mind sitting in the last row of the balcony (i.e. as far away from the stage as is possible in TPAC's Jackson Hall). This is approximately what the stage looked like from my seat. All other photos of on-stage happenings were taken with considerable zoom-age.


I got to sit two seats down from Jessie! Here she is *with* flash (as opposed to the shot I shared last night without).


The legendary David Van Buskirk tried to ruin this picture by putting his hand up, but I was too quick for him! BWAH-HAH-HAH!


Our emcee for the evening was former Senator Bill Frist. Little known fact: he is an M.D.! (That is a joke.) This is actually the clearest picture I got of him with the super-telephoto.

"Sons" was scored by Nashville's own Jars of Clay, who also performed their song "Prisoner of Hope" from the film. Well, it was *sort of* Jars of Clay. Guitarist Steve Mason was Down Under, which I didn't realize until the band took the stage with an unidentified female personage in his stead. I thought it was kind of weird that no one mentioned the substitution.



After the film, there were some remarks from the two titular "Sons," Fred and Milton Ochieng'. They're so swell. And they looked very handsome in their tuxes.

At the end of the event, people loitered around the lobby at TPAC for a long time. There were a lot of them. I'm not such a big fan of crowds.



There's Jessie again, faithfully staffing the Blood:Water Mission information table. Go, girl!


BEN ELLIS!!! (He's not really grumpy, he's just trying to spot me after hearing me yodel his name across the crowd.)


Hooray for the Kendigs!


"Sons of Lwala" director/producer/writer/narrator, Barry Simmons. (The pretty blond lady in the foreground is his girlfriend, Amy.)


I wasn't really trying for a picture of Aaron's chewing gum, but oh well.


Things were winding down, and where was Jessie? Still dutifully at her post, of course!


BWM director Jena Lee Nardella. This coming Sunday will be her 3 month wedding anniversary . . . where did the time go?



Believe it or not, I will be playing dress-up again tomorrow night! That will make three times in the same week--four if you count Sunday twice (morning for church, evening for "Enchanted"). Hopefully I'll have more pictures to share from that after the fact.

No comments: