Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Thanks for killing my soul, Chad . . .

(It's not like I was using it anyway.)

I hosted the NFGers for Kickin' It Game Night at the Casa this evening. We were all prepared to Nerts, but Chad also brought Sequence and Dirty Marbles, which is a game his family plays a lot, and very competitively.

Well, it didn't take us long to find out why they call the game "dirty." It works a lot like "Sorry" or "Trouble," (although without, as I pointed out, benefit of pop-o-matic technology) in that each player has her own starting and ending points, and you send other players back to start by landing on them. UNLIKE "Sorry," which at least has a veneer of politeness, "Dirty Marbles" is accompanied by a spirit of brutal conquest. The game started out with Trish and Heather disputing which of them is the least competitive (I pointed out later that it is actually me, since I didn't even enter into their debate, heh heh), but it didn't take long for Chad's testosterone to take us all under its spell.

We played for about 90 minutes before Trish had to bow out, as she is a lark and it was approaching her bedtime. Because the game is played in pairs, Chad then took over for Trish in absentia. We were all getting confused, until Chad made the logical choice to switch chairs each time he was playing for Trish, and back to his original chair for himself. As you can imagine, hilarity ensued.

He put in a valiant effort, but Heather and I were triumphant! Here (mostly for Trish's benefit) is the final board just as we won.


Awesome.

And we already have a plan for Kickin' It in two weeks! We're having "Enchanted" night at Trish's, when we will be watching the Disney movie, and everyone will be encouraged to come as their favorite fairy tale prince or princess, or evil witch. My mind reels at the possibilities.

Still haven't finished that latest sweater, but maybe tomorrow? I'm going to try and go to bed soon and maybe catch up on some of the sleep of which I have been deprived recently.

No comments: