Monday, March 31, 2008

A wand'ring minstrel, I . . .

As expected, I spent the day at home today (until I went to Karen's for dinner & non-edifying television). Unfortunately I didn't make it outside to enjoy the GORGEOUS weather (although I still have digging and planting to do in the garden), but I was quite busy with indoor stuff.

I realized the other day that I currently have no jeans in my wardrobe rotation. I have a denim skirt and two (differing weight) denim jackets that I sometimes wear, but no actual denim trousers. This is largely because I have a couple of pairs that need to be mended, and my sewing machine was out of commission until fairly recently. Also, I hate shopping and in any case am too cheap to buy new ones.

I am still working on what my aesthetic will be when I'm playing shows as "Miss Lynn," and I thought it might be neat to have some jeans all covered in fun patches. So that is one of the things I worked on today.

I'm not sure exactly how long I've had these jeans, but I'm quite sure I bought them in the 90's.


All the patches I've put on at this point are "functional" ones, which is to say that they cover up actual (sometimes gaping) holes. Depending on how far I decide to take this, I may eventually add purely decorative ones, as well. However, if you look closely at the picture below, you can see that the purple teddy bear doesn't even completely cover the worn part of the jeans under it.


If you look closely at *this* picture, you can see that this is not the first time these particular jeans have been patched--the heart and the brown floral pattern both overlap a previous denim patch. Remember that thing about my being cheap and hating shopping? Yeah, I wasn't kidding on either count.


There are two more of these flowers on the back that are cut from leftover fabric from a dress I made. Actually, it is the same dress I wore to the Fusion benefit on Saturday night.


Well, after doing all that patching, I decided not to wear these jeans to the birthday party I am performing at tomorrow. I think I am going to wear my denim overalls, instead (which, as you might expect, are also patched.) Unlike the jeans, I know exactly how long I've had the overalls--since my freshman year in college. I'll let you do the math.

Spring officially started a little more than a week ago, but today felt like the first real spring day to me because my nose won't stop running. Bleh. Time to break out the decongestant.

Guess that's it for today. Thanks for everyone who visited the Miss Lynn blog (I just improved the color scheme a little while ago for easier readability) and signed up for the mailing list. If you haven't yet, please do! More hijinks tomorrow.

No comments: