Friday, March 21, 2008

Sprung!

Wow, it was an unbelievably nice day here. Sorry, people who are still experiencing snow where you are--but it was.

Look, there are flowers growing in my flower bed! I think it's some kind of crocus? Or maybe not?


I took advantage of the nice weather by spending a good part of the afternoon digging outside in preparation for the garden. The patch on the left is slightly longer and about twice as wide as it was when I started, and this progress took me TWO HOURS of digging. Pathetic.


Part of the reason it took so long was the need to excavate so much debris from underground (see February 25,"Backyarcheology". This photo shows the pile of large rocks and other assorted randomness I dug up.


When I first pulled this chunk out of the ground, I thought it was concrete (which I've found in the past.) But apparently, this is a piece of granite? It's kind of hard to tell in the bright late-afternoon sunlight of this picture.


An almost-intact ceramic light fixture. Anybody need one? I could always rinse it off with the hose and run it through the dishwasher.


Apart from digging, I ran and hung out two loads of laundry; went grocery shopping (the lame Nolensville Road Kroger does not have Ralston cereal, but I'm not giving up--I think the place I saw it may have been East Nashville's Turnip Truck); made Jonah G's birthday gift and a little gift for his sister, Livi; and ate the last of Sunday's ham and sweet potatoes for dinner. The net effect of all those things is to leave me plum tuckered out. So for now I bid you adieu, and Happy Spring!

No comments: