Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Reason for gratitude

I got paid to fly a kite today. By some standards, I didn't get paid very much--but then again, by others, I made more than some people in our world will get this whole week for a whole lot more toil.

Tonight, I have plenty to eat. What's more than that, I have some mighty fine things to eat, like leftover pork roast and macaroni & cheese.

As I am writing this, some friends are heading over to my house for no reason other than to hang out and knit. This means I have the ability to write, something to write about, a computer to write on, friends to come over and a home to share with them.

At one point this afternoon, the aforementioned kite got caught in a rosebush which ended up taking a pretty good chunk out of one of my fingers. This (barring very unforeseen circumstances) is the closest thing to a medical crisis I will have to deal with today.

Tomorrow I will probably--most likely--forget to be grateful for these and the countless other small and large blessings in my life. But today, if only for a moment, I realize how completely drowned my life is in undeserved goodness. And so for all these things and for the very fleeting awareness of them, I give thanks.

No comments: